Monday, November 12, 2012

THE NIGHT I MET CHARLIE MUSSELWHITE

You probably have heard Charlie play harp.  Even if you don't claim to know him, you've heard him if you have listened to any blues at all.  Charlie was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi.  He claims to be Choctaw but his Mama says he's part Cherokee.  All I know is Charlie is cool.  So many others play harp in a new fangled style like John Popper of Blues Traveler.  And that's ok.  But Charlie plays like the real old guys.  If you wanna know what the real old guys like Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, and Junior Wells sounded like live, then you need to see Charlie.  He has that sound. 

I met Charlie once downtown Helena, Arkansas.  It was during the King Biscuit Blues Festival.  After the Friday night main stage acts most people migrate along main street to one of a couple of juke joints.  I was at one and saw Charlie talking to some dude.  He had a cigarette in his left hand and a mixed drink in his right hand.  I remember Levon Helm was playing drums and singing and  I was feeling pretty good at about that hour, sometime after 2 am and wanted to tell ol Charlie how much I admired him.  I walked over, introduced myself and stuck out my right hand.  Well Charlie just looked at me, what with both hands full, and just stuck out his little finger on his right hand which held his mixed drink.  Well, hell, what did I do?  I shook that damn little finger and felt proud about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment