Saturday, June 29, 2013

You Just Can't Fake The Funk

The studio is so unnerving.  You just can't fake the funk.  Every little spec of flat or sharp looms like a troll at the bridge.  You just can not hide.
I spent most of today laying the horns on my year long project: FULL GROWN MAN.  I thought I would have this album ( yeah that's right, they will always be albums to me), done a year ago.  But things happen. Anyway, water under the bridge.
I have this very talented sax player who has written some excellent charts and this really hip, jazzy trumpet player that has no trouble hearing what is going on.  Deal is, they are on two different levels at this time.  I do not mean talent wise, both are heavy.  I mean one attacks and one lays back.  So I have to decide who is leading on which tune or even which part of which tune.  Horns can make this record pop, and I want to make sure it is what I want when it is done.  Really, main thing to me is making it sound the way it will sound if I were to play on stage at a festival.  I need that live sound and not the over mixed studio crap you can fall into.  I need simple, strong, melodic parts that make you get up and move.
At this stage of my life I know better than to rush things.  I have come this far, and I will end up with something I will be proud of.  I like writing and playing music.  I have no out of this world, grandiose idea of being some kind of star.  But I love seeing people enjoy my music.  Makes me feel full to the brim.

No comments:

Post a Comment