Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Studio - Who's in charge?

Well, it ain't me.  Apparently this project has a mind of it's own.  I am just trying to keep the hive from swarming.
I started this 2 month project 17 months ago. Really, when did this get away from me?  I wrote and arranged all the songs in less than a month.  I lined up some great musicians, with key players who had played years with me before. And then went into the studio and we did our thing, laying down 10 good tracks with everything but a horn section and backup vocals.  I thought, this is as easy as I remember.  Then, delay after delay after delay.
Mainly with the sax and trumpet player.  The sax guy is one hell of a musician.  He arranged the horn sections and created the charts, something that is quite mysterious to me.  But, he being the caliber of musician he is, then he all of a sudden is swamped with work.  It seems like everyone and his brother-in-law wanted him to play.  So during that time we tried to find a night during the week when neither of us were busy and started to work with this really great trumpet player.  But before we could get together in the studio, the trumpet kid has to leave.
While I am waiting for the sax dude to clear up his schedule I find a really great trumpet player and he agrees to help me out.  Finally, a whole year and a couple of months later we are back in the studio and hit a wall. It is hard to find horn players who have never met and get them to jive in the studio.  But we made strides and now I am about half way done with the horns.  Back in the studio the 27th of this month and hopefully will finish with the horns.
Then all I have to do is mix the thing down so a female vocalist can understand what is going on.  Put those vocals on the tracks. Then mix, master and put the dang thing out there.  The thing about this album that sets it apart is that after a year and whatever I am still not tired of the tracks.  I am really anxious to hear what others think.

No comments:

Post a Comment