Monday, October 21, 2013

Competition - Whatever

Part 3 of the 12 part Today's Paradigm and the Working Musician will be out tomorrow. Thanks to all who have been reading. Hit me up with questions if you have any.

I am not very competitive. I have never felt the need to be. I used to drive one band I was with crazy. We would find a special gig paying good money, pending approval of audition. Normally I do not audition, but when the affair is a fireman's ball and they want just the right band, and the money is outstanding, well you just lump it up and go audition. What used to drive the other band members crazy was I would call our competition and inform them of the opportunity. I always did this without thought. I like other musicians and I know what they are going through and if they are a better band then let the chips fall where they may. I lost some good gigs this way. But that is just the way I am. Well now I am going to do some competing.

First my new CD, "Full Grown Man" was chosen by the Spa City Blues Society as their lone entry in the Best Self-Produced CD of the year competition held by the International Blues Foundation located in Memphis, Tn. That is International. While I am excited by, and honored by the tribute, I am pretty sure that Internationally there is some major competition out there.  So, not being competitive, I will sleep well knowing, Hey, what it is is what it is.  Proud to have been nominated.  Thanks to the SCBS!

Now another part of the competition pie.  Spa City Blues Society will also sponsor one Band and one Solo/Duo act to compete in the International Blues Competition held in Memphis last part of January, 2014. I have thrown my non-competitive hat into the Solo/Duo part of the competition with a young blues guitarist named Grayson Goff.  That competition will be November 3. Gonna have fun no matter what and not worry too much about results.  Just the way I roll.

That's a bunch of competing for a non-competitive, old worn out musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment