Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Studio

The studio is a friend and a monster.  You can run but you can not hide.  It is a very unforgiving entity.  It is very expensive and no matter what you do you can hear the money slipping out of your already strapped budget.  Here is what I do.  Forget it.  I just do what I can do.  I don't think about the money.  I don't think about the arrangements.  Besides, you should have done all the prep work first.  I usually don't however.  This cd I am now in the middle of received about 90 min. of practice with the whole group of musicians.  Why in the world would you go and do that?  Because I know some excellent musicians.  I really love the under-produced sound.  When I went into a real uptown studio in Nashville back in the 80's the musicians had zero time to practice my songs.  They got what is called Nashville charts, you know the I IV V type stuff with stops and push symbols.  I played the song once so they would know the melody and off we go.  Pretty much same thing with this deal.  Just relax.  And if it is money you are worried about, do what you can and go get more money.  It is not rocket science.  Big producers want you to think it is rocket science because that is how they make their money.  But it is afterall, just music. Relax

No comments:

Post a Comment